The London Missionary Society (LMS) introduced Christianity into the Cook Islands in 1821.
In 1965 the LMS operations ended in the country which heralded in the creation of the Cook Islands Christian Church (CICC) and assumed management of church activities formerly performed by the LMS.
It has a constitution passed by Parliament in 1968, which was updated in 2003. From its humble beginnings, it now has 22 branches in the Cook Islands, 20 in New Zealand and 18 in Australia.
The CICC is a founding member of the Pacific Conference of Churches and the Pacific Theological College, and has partnership arrangements with the Maohi Protestant Church of French Polynesia, Uniting Church of Australia, Presbyterian Church of New Zealand, and the Congregational Union of New Zealand. Established in 1839, the CICC owns and operates Takamoa Theological College, one of the oldest theological colleges in the South Pacific. Read more about the church in the other sections of this website.